On the Washington Post’s online discussion about Susan G. Komen Fight For the Cure deciding to stop funding Planned Parenthood’s breast screening program a theme has emerged from those who support the action; “Planned Parenthood has no reason to exist except for abortions.” This is my response.

Yes, I guess that would explain the whopping 3% of it’s services rendered in a year that are abortions. The other 97% is just a cover. They are saving and/or keeping healthy those millions of other lives because of a nefarious plan to end a few.

Planned Parenthood is the largest and most visible advocate for for the full range of women’s gender-specific health issues. That makes them the logical target of a right wing that does not believe that one of those services should be legal. They can’t just make it illegal because a vast majority of Americans support the right to choose, so they have to come at it other ways.

How do you stop something? You choose the biggest example of that thing and you beat the hell out of them to scare off others. It is why Planned Parenthood is targeted, and why Dr. George Tiller was murdered. It is, in simplest terms, political terrorism Рwhich like physical terrorism is meant to scare people away from doing what they have chosen to do with their lives. It is deplorable, it is un-American, and no one left or right who believes in American principles should stand for it for one second.

There is nothing “right to life” about denying 170,000 poor women the resources they need to get breast cancer screening.

Nothing.